Thursday, January 24, 2013

PROUD DAD!!!!

I know that people may get tired of hearing about other people's kids, but just indulge me if you will.  I was sitting at my computer doing some work tonight and in the background was the sound of a little seven year old playing his drums.  Now before you cringe, I must let you know they were his Christmas gift this year from us.  Listening to him play isn't bad.  It's jut loud.  He is actually keeping a good beat considering he has never taken a lesson and basically has learned from watching the drummers at church and also drummers on Youtube.  (Sidenote ~ it's amazing what you can learn how to do on Youtube.)  I almost told him to stop and find something else to do but then again, I am actually enjoying listening to him practice.  You see, I am a drummer and I remember all the times when I just sit and played and tried to improve.  Mitchell is already better than I was at seven.

Mitchell isn't the only one in our family who is talented when it comes to music.  Ashlyn plays the guitar and is good for a 16 year old.  She has practiced hard and really loves playing.  The guitar was just the beginning for her.  My dad gave her a box with different harmonicas in it that you can play for different keys.  She began trying them out and the next thing I know she is playing it during a worship song in church.  She already plays the guitar for worship and she was playing the harmonica as well that day.  Ashlyn loves Bluegrass.  Krystal, my wife, still hasn't figured that one out.  Not too long ago Ashlyn announced that she wanted to buy a banjo.  Within a couple of weeks she had found a potential banjo that she may purchase.  Once again, she just picked it up and plucked around on it.  As far as I knew she hadn't really had much time to pluck around on it.  Then me and Krystal entered the sanctuary a couple of weeks ago and the praise team had just began to play.  When I walked in the back door, someone in the back asked us, "Hey, when did Ashlyn start playing the banjo?"  I looked up and there she was on the platform playing the banjo.  It sounded great and that was when I realized she may be one of those people that can pick up an instrument and just like that begin playing it.  Oh, I didn't mention the ukulele that her grandparents got her for Christmas.  She is plucking on it now but I'm sure it won't be long until we hear a sweet melody coming from her room as she learns another instrument.

Yes, I am one proud dad but I am also thankful that both of our children love to play and use the gifts God has given to them for His glory.  Keep it up kids!!!   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thursday, January 24, 2013

PROUD DAD!!!!

I know that people may get tired of hearing about other people's kids, but just indulge me if you will.  I was sitting at my computer doing some work tonight and in the background was the sound of a little seven year old playing his drums.  Now before you cringe, I must let you know they were his Christmas gift this year from us.  Listening to him play isn't bad.  It's jut loud.  He is actually keeping a good beat considering he has never taken a lesson and basically has learned from watching the drummers at church and also drummers on Youtube.  (Sidenote ~ it's amazing what you can learn how to do on Youtube.)  I almost told him to stop and find something else to do but then again, I am actually enjoying listening to him practice.  You see, I am a drummer and I remember all the times when I just sit and played and tried to improve.  Mitchell is already better than I was at seven.

Mitchell isn't the only one in our family who is talented when it comes to music.  Ashlyn plays the guitar and is good for a 16 year old.  She has practiced hard and really loves playing.  The guitar was just the beginning for her.  My dad gave her a box with different harmonicas in it that you can play for different keys.  She began trying them out and the next thing I know she is playing it during a worship song in church.  She already plays the guitar for worship and she was playing the harmonica as well that day.  Ashlyn loves Bluegrass.  Krystal, my wife, still hasn't figured that one out.  Not too long ago Ashlyn announced that she wanted to buy a banjo.  Within a couple of weeks she had found a potential banjo that she may purchase.  Once again, she just picked it up and plucked around on it.  As far as I knew she hadn't really had much time to pluck around on it.  Then me and Krystal entered the sanctuary a couple of weeks ago and the praise team had just began to play.  When I walked in the back door, someone in the back asked us, "Hey, when did Ashlyn start playing the banjo?"  I looked up and there she was on the platform playing the banjo.  It sounded great and that was when I realized she may be one of those people that can pick up an instrument and just like that begin playing it.  Oh, I didn't mention the ukulele that her grandparents got her for Christmas.  She is plucking on it now but I'm sure it won't be long until we hear a sweet melody coming from her room as she learns another instrument.

Yes, I am one proud dad but I am also thankful that both of our children love to play and use the gifts God has given to them for His glory.  Keep it up kids!!!   

No comments:

Post a Comment